Two main Criteria are followed by Al Foah when receiving the dates, namely:
- General Criteria
- Special Criteria.
Note: Both criteria, the General and the special for determining the quality of the received dates, were approved by a joint committee between Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority and Al Foah Company.
General Criteria -- Applicable to all types and as follows:
- Not more than 7% of physical defects, deformity, dirt, dust or insects infected, whether dead or alive.
- Note more than 1% of rotten or acidic dates.
- Humidity level between 10% to 16%.
- Different types not to be mixed.
- Crops of the previous year are not permitted to be marketed.
- Not having washed the date.
Special Criteria – Applicable to all types and as follows:
- Pealing: This is the separation of the date surface from the date body of more than 50% and the percentage should not exceed 10% in each type. In General and except for the following types: Khalas, Barhi, Jabri, Sultana, Nabtat Saif where the pealing percentage doesn’t exceed 20% and in case of increase to this limit, the type will be accepted as medium.
- Weight: Date weight is the main criteria to determine the quality of the dates for the main types and is done via taking random sample from the different types available with the farm and weighting 50 pieces of dates for each type. The samples will be taken randomly from each of the received boxes and then 50 pieces will be taken afterward using very sensitive scales and based on this criteria, all type of the dates will be classified into two quality levels: Good or medium based on the chart provided.